Companies build a website to attract more customers, increase sales, and maintain good customer relationships. However, before they can achieve those objectives, they first need to attract targeted traffic.
A beautiful and well-designed company website is pointless if none of your target customers are visiting it. In other words, to make your website serve its purpose, you have to find a way to open the floodgates of traffic to your website.
The answer is blogging.
Blogging is one of the best ways to boost traffic to your company’s website. It builds a content hub in your website, where your target audience can visit from anywhere and anytime to get valuable information that can answer their daily questions and problems in life.
So if you’re not yet blogging for your business, you better do it now.
To make sure that your blog will generate the traffic and results that you want to achieve for your business, here are 50 blogging tips for your guide.
1. Spy on your competition. Do not enter into the blogging arena without knowing your competitors. Know your competition to know what works and to learn how you can do better.
You can identify your website’s main competitors and analyze their top keywords and ranking positions using SEMrush.
You can also use Buzzsumo to analyze your competitors’ blog content by entering their domain names.
2. Create audience personas. Creating the right content and reaching the right audience are vital to making your blog posts more useful, likeable, bookmarkable and shareable. Hence, recognize your audience personas, which should include your customers and your industry’s thought leaders.
3. Analyze your SWOT. Identify your blogging strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Capitalize your strengths such as your industry expertise, which you can utilize to write expert articles and advice on your blog. On the other hand, don’t blog on the topics you don’t know about to avoid loss of quality and integrity of your blog.
4. Optimize your blog for all users. Make sure that your blog is friendly to users of mobile computers (tablets and mobile phones) and various Internet browsers (Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.).
You can enter your domain in Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test to check if your blog is mobile friendly.
5. Speed up your blog. Slow loading web pages can frustrate visitors and can also decrease search engine rankings. Choose a minimalist design and have a reliable web hosting provider.
6. Set up basic blog monitoring tools. Set up Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tool) and Google Analytics for your blog. Create sitemap and submit it to Google Search Console so that your blog’s pages will be indexed by Google faster.
7. Build a better team. A better team will give your blogging campaign better results. Consider building your team, which may compose of a writer, proofreader, graphic designer and content marketer.
8. Create a solid editorial calendar. An editorial calendar will help you plan out and execute your blogging strategy. You can create an editorial calendar using Excel or Google Spreadsheets. You can also read this useful post from Crazy Egg to check some free and paid editorial calendar software and templates.
Creating awesome content
9. Organize your post into a list. Blog posts that are broken down into bullets or numbered lists help your visitors read your content better. Google also gives this kind of content a higher search ranking.
10. Share success stories. The best way to attract customers using your blog is to blog about your customers who are being happy while using your products or services. Case studies about the success of your customers or projects are evidences of your business excellence. Therefore, blogging about them attracts more traffic and loyal customers.
11. Blog about your company’s secrets. Sharing some of your business “secrets to success” inspires, not only your customers, but also your industry peers. It also makes your business more transparent and boosts your customers’ confidence in your business.
12. Create “the one” blog post. Every successful blogger has that “one” blog post that became so popular that it generated most of the traffic of the entire blog. It requires a lot of time, brainstorming, patience and hard work to earn such blog post, but it’s worth it so why don’t you try even if it takes a couple of days or even weeks to complete it?
13. Blog about new research and breaking news in your industry. According to LinkedIn’s Professional Consumption Report, the most popular or in-demand content types by LinkedIn users are new research (77%), followed by breaking industry news (68%), and case studies (55%).
14. Create in-depth or advanced blog post. To send a signal to your audience that your blog is of high quality and not just mediocre, publish advanced and in-depth articles. Industry experts and influencers also tend to share more technical and comprehensive blog posts rather than the ordinary ones.
15. Show proof in your claims. Including soft data such as your personal opinion and feelings is good but hard data like statistical figures and facts are more reliable.
16. Show reference and citations. Citations make your blog posts more valuable and reliable. They also signify that you’ve done a thorough research in doing your homework as a blogger and storyteller.
17. Present interesting images in your posts. A picture can speak or explain a thousand words. With the population who are mostly too busy nowadays, rich images attract more audience than boring texts can. See how BuzzFeed.com becomes one of the most popular blogs in the world today.
Adding the right Alt Texts and descriptions on the images in your blog posts also increases your search engine rankings and visibility.
18. Present interesting videos in your posts. Blog posts with videos included attract almost 3 times more inbound links than a plain text post according to Moz.com.
19. Compile experts’ advice as a blog post. Interviews and getting advice from several industry experts works like a charm in creating a blog post that attracts more traffic and inbound links.
20. Answer your customers’ common questions through a blog post. Read further questions in your blog posts, social media pages, and email. Listen and write a comprehensive blog posts to answer their common questions.
Optimizing your blog for search engine users
21. Use the right keyword in your titles. The title tag is one of the most important SEO elements in your blog’s pages. If you want your blog posts to be more visible on search engines according to your target customers’ queries, use the right keyword in your title. You can learn more about title tag in this post from Moz.com.
22. Capitalize your strong keywords. Using Google Analytics that is integrated with your Google Search Console, find out the queries (keywords) that bring the most traffic to your blog. Then write more quality blog posts that are related to those queries to increase your search engine visibility and traffic further. You can also use Analytics to improve your landing pages to increase your CTRs and current SERP positions.
23. Create link-worthy content. Publish link-worthy blog posts to earn more natural and quality inbound links that can increase your search engine rankings.
Here are 7 types of link-worthy content that you might want to create for your blog:
- Useful infographics and other rich visuals
- Advanced and technical content
- Comprehensive guides
- Case studies
- Result of a new research
- Viral stories
- Breaking news
24. Fill in the gap in search engines. Make Google and other search engines a better place on the Internet by creating blog posts that will answer some of the queries that don’t have definitive answers yet.
25. Blog more frequently without losing quality. More quality blog posts means more pages indexed in search engines. It also means more search engine visibility, higher CTR, and more traffic.
Neil Patel of QuickSprout reported an increase of 18.6% in their blog traffic by posting an additional blog post each week.
26. Recommend related posts. Recommending related posts in your blog helps your audience find other important content in your site. It also improves your blog’s internal linking and helps search engine bots find your related content.
27. Do not overdo SEO. Avoid keyword stuffing, link exchange and other tactics that don’t add value to your blog and audience. Search engine optimization should only be done to improve search engines and search engine users. ‘Nuff said!
Promoting your blog on social media
28. Create shareworthy content. If you wish to increase your blog’s traffic from social media, you have to create content that people love to share. This article teaches you 7 things that content creators do to create share worthy content.
29. Grow your social media followers. All things being equal, a company that has more social media followers will generate more blog traffic than the company that has lesser followers. Hence, make more efforts in increasing your social media fans or followers.
If your target audience are active Facebook users, here’s are some actionable tips on how to increase your Facebook Page Likes.
30. Use social media sharing buttons. Encourage your visitors to share your blog posts to their social media friends and connections by installing plugins such as Digg Digg.
31. Use the right hashtags. Hashtags make your content more discoverable in social networks like Twitter, Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. Here’s your guide to using hashtags in social media.
According to Twitter, tweets with relevant hashtags can increase engagement almost 100% for individuals and 50% for brands.
32. Create clickworthy headlines. People’s newsfeed in social media are crowded with various information. To make your blog posts stand out from the crowd when you share them in social media, make your headlines irresistible. However, make sure that your content will deliver the promise you made in your headlines so that your target audience will not be disappointed eventually.
33. Use clickworthy thumbnails. Choose the best photos for your blog posts’ thumbnails that will appear when you share them in social media. Make sure that your image sizes also fit perfectly in social media. Here’s a guide for the ideal image sizes of your social media posts.
34. Promote your blog posts through viral content. Aside from just sharing your blog posts in social media, create viral content such as meme and videos to grow your audience and drive more traffic to your blog.
Here are 10 of the most viral videos in 2014 that you can dissect to gain brilliant ideas for your own viral video campaign.
35. Share at the right time. An interesting post you share in social media will not earn engagements if you share it while your target audience are not online. The best time to share your posts in social media varies for different types of industries and audiences. Here’s a interesting infographic that will give you an idea what the best times are to post in social media.
36. Join online tribes or communities. Joining and building good relationships in relevant online communities such as LinkedIn groups and Facebook groups can bring more engagements and traffic to your blog.
Joining Triberr helps Optixor’s blog gain more audience and traffic from people who are interested in online marketing.
Getting more traffic
37. Boost your blog posts with paid ads. Investing in paid online advertising such as Facebook Ads, Google AdWords and Twitter Ads can increase your blog’s reach and traffic. Aside from the extra traffic, it will also generate extra intelligent data that you can use to make your marketing campaign better. Here are some quick tips to make your paid online advertising pay off.
38. Reach out to share your blog post to the right people. Do extra effort to reach out people (e.g., your social media friends, current clients and industry influencers) whom you think will be interested with your blog posts. To increase your blog traffic, you have to do a little extra push.
39. Optimize the author of your blog posts. People’s decision to click, read or share a content can depend on the integrity of its author or creator. Therefore, do something to build your personal or professional brand.
40. Reply comments in your blog posts. Keep your blog posts alive and appealing to readers by keeping the conversation coming in your comment section. The more comments your posts have the more your visitors stay in your blog and grab a popcorn. 🙂
41. Leave valuable comments on other relevant blog posts. One great way to increase comments on your blog is to make engaging comments on other blogs that are related in your niche. It catches other bloggers’ attention, makes them visit to your blog as well, and starts building good relationship with you.
42. Do guest posts. Drive more traffic to your blog from authority blogs that are related to your niche by submitting guest posts. Here’s a definitive guide to a successful guest blogging.
43. Build an email list. Encourage your visitors to subscribe their emails to receive your latest blog posts right in their inbox. This is to ensure that they won’t miss any new content from your blog.
44. Give something free. One of the best ways to increase your email list and traffic is to give something free, such as free online tools, eBooks, whitepapers and free webinars.
45. Showcase your best blog posts. Make it easy for your visitors to dig and find the most valuable content in your blog by featuring your best or most popular blogs.
46. Analyze your big data. Utilize the information generated by Google Analytics, Facebook Page Insights and other web analytics services that you use in your blog to make better marketing decisions.
Don’t just signup for Google Analytics to check how many people are visiting your blog. Do your research at Google’s Analytics Help Center and learn how to get the most out of it.
Here’s also a useful article to grow your understanding about Facebook Insights and Twitter Analytics.
47. Turn insights into actions. Don’t waste the intelligence you gain from your analytics, reports and recommendations. Turn them into actions and results!
48. Promote your brand offline. Speaking at public events or seminars helps me attract more traffic to our blog.
49. Keep your customers happy. The best traffic your website could earn may not come from search engines or social media referrals but from the direct traffic generated by your happy and loyal customers who have already memorized or bookmarked your company’s URL.
50. Be consistent. Blogging done right can bring glorious days to your business. But every success can last only for a short time if not maintained. Therefore, as you refuse to fail to achieve success, also refuse to let go of your success when you have it!
Blogging is a proven strategy to increase a company’s website traffic and grow its brand online. Small businesses can also focus on blogging since it could be done by spending time rather than spending money. However, business blogging should be strategically planned out and smoothly executed to ensure that your resources (time, skills or money) will be fully utilized and not be wasted.
Finally, every business owner or marketer should understand that getting traffic is not only the goal of blogging. Traffic still has to be converted into leads, revenues and loyal customers. That is why blogging is a strategy that should be integrated to other marketing strategies, such as conversion rate optimization and relationship marketing.