25 Holistic SEO Tips for Business Owners
Holistic and strategic SEO is one that generates long-term benefits. It doesn’t contradict your other strategies, like social media, content and relationship marketing. Instead, it supports your grand marketing strategy to achieve your primary business objectives.
If SEO is part of your whole marketing strategy, here are 25 holistic tips to ensure that your SEO campaign will fuse in perfect harmony with your other marketing campaigns so they can work as one and generate great results.
1. Create unique, fresh and relevant content. Google and other search engines don’t like duplicate contents because they make search engines cluttered. What search engines like are contents that make a difference. They love high-quality and targeted contents that were created from hard work, originality and creativity.
2. Make your content evident. Your content should answer, not only questions, but also follow-up questions. Therefore, always give proofs, citations and other references to improve the credibility of your content. Don’t hesitate to link out to reliable sources if necessary.
3. Write awesome blog posts. Blogging improves the richness of your website’s content. Create comprehensive or in-depth blog posts that will make you a rockstar blogger. Don’t mind if it will take a week or a couple of days to make one great blog post. Think quality over quantity.
4. Use clear and human-friendly keywords. Don’t let your keywords look like generated by robots. Remember that you’re using keywords so that your content will be found by your target search engine users (who are humans). So when choosing keywords, think about the people who use the search engines, not the search engines.
Use human-friendly keywords for your homepage, web pages, articles, images, videos and even in your social media posts.
5. Have a powerful yet efficient site architecture. Invest in a website framework that is powerful, scalable, SEO friendly, mobile friendly and human-friendly. Align your SEO to your mobile marketing strategy.
6. Find a clean and reliable webhost. Make sure that your website’s host server and IP address are not shared with other websites that have a bad reputation or have been used in spamming. Consider getting a VPS or dedicated server for your websites and email exchanges.
7. Don’t fool search engines; guide them. Search engine crawlers evolve overtime and become more intelligent. Hence, don’t try to use dirty tactics, such as link farming and keyword stuffing, to manipulate them. What you should do is to make your web pages simple and easy to index by search engines. Moreover, install a sitemap in your website to guide search engines when crawling your site.
8. Provide a great search engine user experience. Don’t fool and disappoint your target users. What search engines display in their search results are your page title, description and URL. Deliver what you promise in your title, headline or description. Don’t destroy your users’ trust and confidence in you. Align your SEO to your relationship marketing strategy.
9. Use the power of visual marketing. Help your users understand your messages better and more interesting. Don’t be hasty but add a little more hard work and effort. Enhance your content by adding relevant images, videos and infographics. Align your SEO to your visual marketing strategy.
10. Verify your business. Always verify your Internet presence to improve your online credibility. Verify your business location on Google Map. Verify your website on Google Plus. Moreover, verify your business profiles on social media pages, like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Foursquare and Pinterest.
11. Improve your personal brand. If you’re authoring a blog, strive to improve your reputation as an author. Your name as an author of your content adds up to the credibility of your website, brand and business. Therefore, continue developing yourself as a writer and thought leader. Align your SEO to your branding strategy.
12. Get closer to other influencers. It’s cool when top influencers share your content or mention you in their blogs. Thus, level up with them, get their attention by showing what you got (create relevant awesome blog posts and other content), and try to build relationships with them through outreach and profitable conversations.
13. Improve social media influence and trustworthiness. Don’t just create social media accounts and verify them, but make them better places for your potential and existing customers. Grow your Facebook fans, LinkedIn connections, Twitter followers, YouTube subscribers, Google Plus circles and other social media connections by sharing valuable contents across those channels.
Remember that social media authority is also a vital factor in improving your search rankings. Hence, align your SEO to your social media marketing campaign.
14. Encourage relevant conversations. Optimize conversational functions on your website, blog and social media pages. Improve your website’s contact form, blog’s comment system, and social media features (liking, commenting and sharing). Encourage your blog’s readers to make comments, ask questions to your social media followers, and improve calls to action in your business website.
Take note that relevant discussions in your websites and pages also form part of your valuable content. Therefore, align your SEO to your conversational marketing strategy.
15. Promote sharing in your website or blog. Install social media sharing button on your website and blog posts to encourage your users and readers to share your content in their social networks. The more shares your pages will gain, the more authority and influence your site and brand will earn. Of course don’t forget to make your contents highly viral or shareable.
16. Build good and lasting relationships. Focus on building relationships rather than links. High quality links will come naturally if your content can connect and change the lives of their users. Hence, do relationship building. Align your SEO to your relationship marketing strategy.
When you write content, care for your readers. When making comments on other related blogs, contribute valuable insights and befriend their owners. When your write guest posts, think about making the other blog’s audience happy. When you do linkbaiting, think about making new friends instead of earning new backlinks.
17. Utilize and analyze your data. Incorporate data science into your SEO. Make use of Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Facebook Insights, and other online services (whether free or not) to gather vital information, generate useful reports, and utilize them for making better judgments.
18. Keep an eye on your competition. Know who your competitors are. Use competitive research tools to gain ideas how you can create content and solutions that can stand out from the crowd. Of course, don’t forget to know yourself, as you can be your worst competitor ever. Aside from studying your competitors, understand also your own business – it’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Conduct audit on your own website and review the quality control management of your business.
19. Try cooperation. Look for allies. Find other related businesses which you can unite with without creating direct competition. With them, you can implement a combined SEO campaign which can benefit you and your allies.
20. Implement different SEO tactics. Your SEO strategy should be supported with the right SEO tactics, steps or actions. Plot your overall SEO plan and determine your tactics. Examples of SEO tactics are writing comprehensive “list” blog posts, outreaching influencers mentioned in your content, creating useful infographics, and sharing original viral videos.
21. Continue learning more SEO techniques. SEO may require various technical skills and disciplines to be implemented effectively. These include web programming, data science, writing and graphic design. To make your SEO strategy up-to-date, update yourself and your team too.
22. Keep in touch with Google and other SEO practitioners. Keep an eye on the latest search marketing news from Google and other SEO authorities. Follow the best people in the SEO industry to get the latest news, tips and advice.
23. Have a clean and unique SEO style. Don’t just use strategies, tactics and techniques, but also have a style that will make your SEO campaign leave a unique pattern that’s recognizable by everyone. Of course you don’t want to be recognized as a dirty SEO. Hence, choose a clean and inspiring style. I’m using a holistic style. How about you?
24. Enjoy your SEO campaigns. SEO is a continuing process. If you don’t enjoy what you do, your SEO activities would be boring and would not last for long to keep up on your competition. Thus, avoid doing SEO solely for getting link juices because it is honestly boring. Instead, do SEO to make your users or customers happy, uplift your personal brand, improve your business integrity, learn new interesting stuff, and make a lot of friends.
25. Hire a SEO specialist. Finally, if you think you can’t do SEO efficiently and effectively, leave it to the expert. As a business owner or an entrepreneur, you have to exercise the power of delegation so you can concentrate on your business’ core activities. Of course you can always review the work of a SEO and learn from it.
SEO was born to optimize, not only websites and search engines, but more importantly their users. It also aims to harmonize the existence of technology and humanity to create a better world. That is what holistic SEO is all about. It’s not just about getting links, driving traffic or even earning profit. It’s about making everyone happy.